In the seventeenth century this room served as an antechamber to the bedroom in the house occupied by Hendrick Trip.
The room was also connected to the dressing room (now the toilet area). The painting of the ceiling coffers was largely carried out by the artist Nicolaas de Heldt Stockade (1614-1669). It is not known who was responsible for the painting of the central panel.
In 1856 this room was one of the exhibition rooms in the Rijksmuseum national museum, which at that time was housed in the Trippenhuis. The room was then known as the 'Staalmeesterzaal', after the Rembrandt painting 'The Syndics of the Draper's Guild' (De Staalmeesters) which hung here. Since the departure of the Rijksmuseum from the Trippenhuis, this room has been used for meetings of the Board of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.