In the seventeenth century this was the Great Hall ('Grote Sael') in the house occupied by Hendrick Trip. This was where visitors were received.
The paintings in the ceiling compartments are the work of Nicolaas de Heldt Stockade (1614-1669). They refer to peace and to the goods in which the Trip family traded. The pine floor in this room dates from the time that the Trippenhuis was built.
In the period 1815-1817, during the adaptation of the Trippenhuis to accommodate the Royal Institute of Sciences and the Rijksmuseum, the dividing wall between the two houses was removed to create a large museum hall. Rembrandt's famous painting 'The Nightwatch' (De Nachtwacht) hung on the wall where the chimney breast now stands, with the 'Celebration of the Peace of Münster, 1648, at the Crossbowmen's Headquarters' (Schuttersmaaltijd) by Bartholomeus van der Helst on the opposite wall. The Academy has had the use of the Rembrandt Room since the Rijksmuseum was moved to Stadhouderskade in 1887.