International leading scientists discussed the effect on greenhouse gas emissions of biofuel and wood as energy sources. The symposium is being organised in response to the debate following the publication of the Academy’s position paper entitled Biofuel and Wood as Energy Sources – Effect on Greenhouse Gas Emissions in January 2015.
- David MacKay - Cambridge University, UK – Sustainable energy - without the hot air (html file, best view in Chrome, Firefox and Safari)
- Martin Junginger – Utrecht University – (Martin Junginger welcomes your feedback on the working paper: Sustainable biomass for energy and materials: A greenhouse gas emission perspective (pdf))
- Tim Searchinger – Princeton University, USA – Bioenergy and the Dedicated Use of Land (pdf)
- André Faaij – University of Groningen – How biobased economy can be part of sustainable development (without iLUC) and why we can't do without it (pdf)
Report of the Symposium
- Report on the symposium 'Biofuel and wood as energy sources'
- Post-It notes of the symposium Biofuel and wood as energy sources – opening (pdf)
Martijn Katan (VU University Amsterdam; Academy Member) and Appy Sluijs (Utrecht University; Alumnus The Young Academy)