During this symposium, the speakers will be analysing the world beyond the treatment room and will be examining the influence of Freud in and on current society.
The central theme will be the concept of psychological trauma that occurs in all human lives and which is passed on from generation to generation, with all resulting consequences, not only in families but also in society. Can the psychoanalytical legacy contribute to understanding and managing the major and severe changes and conflicts that characterise modern society? And if so, how?
- Jan Swinkels, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Centre/Chair Stichting Breukvlakken - Introduction
- Yra van Dijk, Professor of Dutch Literature, Leiden University and Arnon Grunberg, author – A Conversation
- Werner Bohleber, Psychoanalyst – Native and Alien, Psychological Processes of Exclusion and Violence
- Antonie Ladan, Psychiatrist/Psychoanalyst – The wish for war
- Wouter Gomperts, Clinical Psychologist/Psychoanalyst – Society and its perverted discontents
- Abram de Swaan, Emeritus Professor of Sociology, University of Amsterdam – How normal are “normal” mass murderers?
- Nel Draijer, Clinical Psychologist/Psychoanalyst – On the comfort of splitting in the face of threat
The moderators are Don Linszen, Psychiatrist/Psychoanalyst and Rolien van Mechelen, Clinical Psychologist/Psychoanalyst, Secretary Stichting Breukvlakken
Dark Wisdom is co-organised with Stichting Breukvlakken on the eve of the annual congress of the European Psychoanalytical Federation.