The Trippenhuis

From arms trade to the pursuit of science and scholarship

The Trippenhuis Building on Amsterdam’s Kloveniersburgwal canal was built for the brothers Louys (1605–1684) and Hendrick Trip (1607–1666). The Academy has been associated with this remarkable building since its foundation.

The Trip brothers were dealers in arms, artillery, bullets, munitions, iron, and tar. They had a mansion built on Kloveniersburgwal that would become the largest residence in seventeenth-century Amsterdam. The Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW, the ‘Academy’ ) has been permanently established at the Trippenhuis since 1812.

The Academy is located here with The Young Academy, The Society of Arts, and the Comenius Network (Dutch only).

Conference and events venue

The Trippenhuis and the adjacent canal-side mansions together form the Trippenhuis complex, the heart of science, scholarship, and the arts in the Netherlands. In addition to its own activities, the Academy makes its premises available for organisations and events focusing on science and scholarship, the arts, technology, and education.